Thursday, June 10, 2010

Choosing Joy

Happiness is based on happenings, joy is a choice. I learned this once at a camp I went to in Jr. High. This is a thought that has been on my mind this week.

It's easy to be "happy" when all the happenings of our lives are going as planned, and there aren't too many major bumps in the road. Needless to say, it would be easy for me to not be "happy" this week. Maybe it's because I'm pregnant, but isn't it interesting how easy it is to get upset or be moody? It's like the littlest thing can set me off and put me in a bad mood all day, if I let it.

Instead, I should choose joy. For joy can be present in my life, when all the happenings seem to be not going "as planned."

"But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, JOY, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control." Galatians 5:22-23

When something doesn't go the way I planned-do I feel sorry for myself, or do I choose to make the most out of the situation I've been given?

When I can't just run to town to buy groceries-do I get in a bad mood because it doesn't seem fair, or do I choose to be thankful for my husband, mom, and others who are willing to help us out?

When I develop a cyst on my eyebrow that has to be removed amongst everything else going on-do I just "add it to the list" of things I "have to deal with," or do I choose to be thankful, once again, for doctors that can help us out?

When we can't go on trips that we planned to take together before the baby arrived-do I let the selfishness creep in to allow myself to have a pity party, or do I choose to find joy in the sacrificial love of being a mom?

When I think about the past 6 weeks, and the next 13ish to come-do I let myself get completely overwhelmed with all that I can't/won't be able to do, or do I praise God for the 6 weeks he has given baby Cupcake to grow and mature in my womb, and thank him for each day that I have the privilege of carrying this beautiful child?

I am human, so naturally, I must admit, I don't always choose joy. But I am praying that the fruits of the Spirit would be more evident in my life every single day. I pray that we would be willing to be obedient-no matter what it is that He calls us to.

I am so thankful that He doesn't give up on us, even when we make the same mistake over and over again. I can imagine it's kind of like the love you have for your kids. You see them make decisions/mistakes, and yet you love them through it, and encourage them to choose to learn something from the mistakes they made.

What a beautiful, sacrificial love that continues to choose joy.

Joy-such a small but challenging word!

No comments:

Post a Comment